The Standard Brewing Company was founded in 1889 as an ale brewery. It was originally located at
10 Cataract Street in .
By the time of prohibition, the brewery's capacity was 30,000 barrels per year. Rochester, New York
After repeal, Standard reopened at
436 Lake Avenue, the previous location of
the Flower City Brewery.
In 1956, as a result of competitive pressures, Standard Brewing entered into a merger with its local rival, Rochester Brewing Company. The consolidated firm was renamed the Standard-Rochester Brewing Company and continued in operation at Rochester's plant at 770 Emerson Street until the brewery ceased operation in 1970.